-->

December 31, 2013

Tape it Off!

We had a crafty Christmas at our house, both to save money and give gifts that were unique. After reading, seeing and pinning a bunch of ideas using washi tape (like this and this), I decided to dip my toe into that black hole pond for a few Christmas gifts.

Washi tape stationery set for gifting | A Crafty Wife

After trips to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Dollar Tree, I had the pieces needed to create cute little washi tape stationery collections for my mom, mother-in-law and future sister-in-law.


The first thing I did was paint the pencils and notebook covers (front and back) with an off-white paint so their original colors wouldn't show through the washi tape. I didn't have bright white on hand, so the color I used was called Parchment. I put a piece of tape around the eraser part of the pencil with a flag to a) not get paint on the metal part and b) make it super-easy to take off once painted. The notebooks took 2 coats each on the front and back just to be sure the pattern was not very visible. 

Paint pencils and notebook covers with craft paint to prevent bleed through with washi tape | A Crafty Wife

Then came the wrapping. I found it was easier to use a diagonal wrapping pattern that just barely overlapped the previous row for the pencils. (NOTE - I've seen others say that just cutting a long piece of washi tape the length of your pencil and wrapping it around lengthwise works. I had trouble getting the washi tape to stay put on the ends...maybe mine just wasn't sticky enough. This might work for you though.)

Wrap pencils with washi tape | A Crafty Wife

A delicate slice with a Xacto blade around the metal part of the pencil was all it took to get a nice clean line. I finished the pencils with a light coat of Mod Podge, just to be sure the tape wasn't going anywhere.


Finshed pencils wrapped with washi tape and covered with Mod Podge | A Crafty Wife

The notebooks were easy to make as well. I simply laid out a pattern of how I wanted the tape across the covers, then folded the edges around to the inside. A gentle slice down the spine with the Xacto to finish them up and they were done!

Apply washi tape in pattern of your choice to notebook cover, then wrap edges and carefully trim | A Crafty Wife

I fell in love with these oversized clothespins after seeing some at a craft fair. Hobby Lobby sells these 6" plain ones for about $3.50 a piece - perfect for crafting! I took the metal spring out and painted both sides with craft paint (the same Parchment color used above) and then attached the washi tape. These also got a coat of Mod Podge just to seal everything in. The last piece of the gift was monogrammed note cards. I used plain white note cards (also from Hobby Lobby), a strip of washi tape along the bottom, and rubber stamps for each person's initial.

Washi tape on large clothespins and monnogrammed notecards for personal gift | A Crafty Wife

I am thrilled how it all turned out! My total cost for making 3 sets of this was under $30:

  • Pack of pencils: $1 (Dollar Tree)
  • Notebooks: 3 for $1 (Dollar Tree)
  • Clothespins: $3.50 each (Hobby Lobby) 
  • Pack of 24 white note cards: $3.50 (Hobby Lobby)
  • Washi Tape: about $10 total from both Michael's and Hobby Lobby
  • Stamp set: already owned, but you could get one from HL for about $12
  • Mod Podge: already owned
Handmade washi tape stationery set for Christmas, teacher gift, Mothers Day gifts | A Crafty Wife

The reactions on Christmas morning as they opened their personalized, handmade gifts were fantastic! These were super easy to make and would make great teacher gifts, hostess gifts, or even make one for yourself. Anybody else getting crafty with washi tape? I'd love to see what you're making!




No comments :

Post a Comment